Skip to main content

That's "Hirabah" to you, Al Qaeda!

Shockingly enough, I heard a very interesting, less-Liberal piece on NPR tonight on my drive home. Leftists have been very concerned of late with linguistics... learning to use the right words to get votes, I suppose, from the more Conservative areas of the country. I suppose they needed to do that after Kerry's infamous attempt at being a good ole boy in 2004 was the laughing stock of "flyover country." I'll never be able to erase the soundbyte of Kerry saying, "Where can I get me a huntin' license?" ACK!

The NPR series is called "Exploring the Language of Post-Sept. 11 US Policy." For my money, you can take out the "US Policy" part of that title -- it's ridiculous. We've been struggling to find the right words to describe the nightmare we've been living with for over 20 years now and it has NOTHING to do with US policy! Islamo-fascists (a term that's up for discussion next in the series) brought the nightmare to us and gave us assistance with the necessary labels. Okay, enough. I digress.

The first part of the series is a discussion of the word "Jihad" and what it means to Muslims. I am now convinced, after hearing it directly from a professor who teaches Islamic law at UCLA, that we are actually complimenting terrorists by calling them "Jihadis" -- I don't call them that but the President's speech writers have inserted it into his speeches. The correct way to insult a terrorist is to call him a "Hirabah."

According to Professor Abu El Fadl:

"The term in Islamic law which best describes the activities of al Qaeda is hirabah, which originally meant brigandage, but has a more general meaning as sinful warfare," says Streusand. "If our elected officials started saying 'This is a war against hirabis,' that would be more effective. It would certainly be better than using the term jihad or jihadis which is actively harmful."
This NPR series promises to make us rethink the terms we're using and/or help us understand the terms we're using at a finer granularity. Either way, it's a good idea. Thank you, NPR.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste