Skip to main content

When Mom gets excited, it's a good pick!

My mother called me on Friday, August 29th. I had taken the day off from work to finish preparations for a household move from one residence to the other. I hadn't heard a word of news all day.

When I answered the phone, there was no small talk, as is the norm. There was one simple, breathless question that immediately hit the earpiece on my side.

"Sorry to bother you while you're busy but have you heard the news?" she asked. I could not imagine what in the world would excite her so much.

"No. What news? I've been packing all morning."

"Guess who John McCain picked for his running mate!" I could hear the big smile in the question. She was giddy. Whoever it was, it was a damned good pick!

I have never heard my mother so excited about anything political. She will enjoy a chat about a good speech or a chuckle over a good slam by one politician or another but I'd never heard this level of excitement over a candidate before.

"Kay Bailey Hutchison?" I guessed. At least I had the sex correct. (I had been hoping that McCain might pick a female running mate after Obama had unceremoniously kicked Hillary to the curb.)

"No. He picked Sarah Palin! Do you know who she is? She's the Governor of Alaska, a "hockey Mom," smart, attractive, and a fiscal Conservative!"

She didn't stop there. She recounted everything she'd heard about Palin since the announcement. The excitement in her voice was just undeniable. It was the first time I think I'd ever heard my mother so excited about a GOP candidate. Ever.

Her politics may have quietly rubbed off on her daughter over the years as she's not much of a social Conservative but she is definitely a fiscal Conservative. She is a strong woman who built a loving family despite the military lifestyle. Military wives are tough stuff, let me tell you. They do what needs to be done without any whining along the way with stiff backbones and nerves of steel. You'd think the Army trained them for duty.

I had never heard such excitement from her before about the big political horse race. That is, not until that Friday when John McCain changed the game, spun the Liberals into a tizzy, and flummoxed the feminists. By picking Sarah Palin, he sent a message to Americans, loud and clear: Conservative women are tough; they're achievers. Don't underestimate them.

Governor Sarah Palin is a stellar portrait of the true Conservative female tradition. She exemplifies the straight backbone, the certitude, the "do it right or get out of my way so I can get it done" attitude of every Conservative in America. She doesn't need to apologize for being who she is. She'll smile, heck, she might even chuckle when she calls you out on your own b.s., calling things what they are. And, why not? There's no need to be unpleasant about it. She is who she is. Like it or not. Your choice. Regardless, she would like you to help or get out of the way.

Through their actions, Conservatives will let you know that, even though we cannot always control our circumstances, we can certainly improve them. Whether their focus is on building a solid marriages, raising loving families, getting out of debt, or building careers, they put their all into it. Mind you, they don't really need your help but you're welcome to pitch in if you like. Regardless of sex, that's the Conservative way. We don't draw distinctions about which sex can have the positive attitude that achieves predictably positive results. It's simply Conservatism.

God help the females of my generation -- we were told by angry feminists during our formative years that we must subjugate our femininity in order to avoid being "victims." I saw it all around me, women dressing to subdue their more feminine aspects. Then, suddenly I found myself entering the business world in the 1980s, dressed like "Annie Hall" myself. My blouse tied at the neck in necktie fashion, in a feeble attempt to "level the playing field" as the feminists advised. As if, by tying my blouse at the neck, my male clients wouldn't notice that I was indeed female. It was ridiculous! I plodded on through those years pretending somehow that I was suddenly equal to my male counterparts and clients who had far more experience in the business world at that time because I tried to dress like them. Heck, even in my twenties, I couldn't quite buy it.

It took quite a few years to wash all that feminist baloney out of my ears so I could realize my own potential. I'm not just female; Female is not the sum of my value or my being. I'm a competent, caring, intelligent, Conservative human being who happens to be enjoy some "male" hobbies such as shooting and gamesmanship but am I truly and wonderfully female. I work in a male dominated field and that's fine with me. I now understand the value of my own femininity, especially when going toe-to-toe with the "old boys." Despite what feminists preached in the 1970s, femininity is a power unto itself. No self-respecting woman would play it down and lose that God-given advantage. "Level the playing field," my arse! If my chess opponent wants to give up one of his bishops to show off, he's welcome to do so but mine's staying on the board, baby!

My apathy toward John McCain as the presumptive Republican nominee for President had been based mostly on his stance on illegal immigration and his willingness to cave in and negotiate with a party whose ideals are directly opposed to my own. I believe the Goldwater Conservative ideals trump Liberal "nanny state" ideals every time. I like for my representatives to uphold those Conservative ideals because they're right, not because they're convenient.

Don't get me wrong; I was absolutely prepared to vote for McCain and whomever he chose as his running mate in the general election simply because McCain strongly represents fiscal responsibility by opposing wasteful government spending. That was enough for my vote but it wasn't enough for my enthusiasm.

After doing my homework on Governor Palin, I have no doubt that we'll be in good hands with President McCain and Vice President Palin as both of them are fiscal Conservatives who fight the excesses of governmental power and wasteful spending. Regardless of sex, that's a winning ticket in a slow economy. This taxpayer is happy to have fiscal Conservatives in charge.

My initial apathy toward the presumptive GOP nominee has turned completely around. I'm happy to say that this turnaround began with one phone call from Mom that Friday. Well, I suppose it actually started with a very clever choice of Vice President for the GOP ticket. As first decisions of a President go, I'd say that his choice of running mate was of the highest Presidential caliber. However, the real stamp of approval and the real reason for my enthusiasm remains that phone call from Mom. When she gets excited about it, well heck, that's the best stamp of approval ever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste