Skip to main content

Rainy Days and Fridays...

After spending each week in Greenwood, Indiana working on this contract gig, I am convinced that blogging is a high-speed connection sport. My uncle, who is kind enough to put me up at his place through the week, doesn't have high-speed internet at his house so I am at the mercy of dial-up when trying to keep up with school, email, and blogging after work.

Don't get me wrong. Staying at my uncle's house is like being in a 5-star hotel suite. He and his wife have a gorgeous home. But after being spoiled to a cable modem for years now, it's like stepping back in time. It takes much longer to get things accomplished online. At any rate, my apologies for being MIA for so many days. I'm sure you can relate to the dial-up diatribe.

While driving home from Greenwood this Friday, I was looking forward to attending a 40th birthday party at Howl at the Moon in Fourth Street Live. I was excited about getting back home for the weekend. I had things to do; people to see.

I had driven about an hour or so when the rain started. At about an hour and a half, I had made it to the bridge. I could see the Louisville city skyline shrouded in clouds and rain. I was almost home... Traffic was at a dead stop on the bridge as the rain pounded down.

While staring at the back-end of the tractor trailer about 20 feet in front of me, waiting for traffic to move, I noticed something odd... the tractor trailer was rolling backward right at me! At first, I thought I was moving forward, you know that odd sensation you get when another car in your sight is moving but it feels like your car is moving? It became apparent quite quickly that I wasn't moving at all but the truck in front of me was rolling backward. I put the car in park and pulled up my emergency brake hoping that, if he plowed backward into me and shoved my car back, I could at least keep from rolling into the car behind me.



(click to enlarge)


Needless to say, the SOB in the big rig didn't catch himself in time. He managed to roll back far enough into the front of my car to smash it up pretty badly and scare the beejeezus out of me. Either the driver of the truck didn't hear my horn or chose to ignore it. He began to move forward and didn't look back once. Nor did he ever offer to pull over and exchange insurance information. I should have stayed right there on the bridge and called the police; however, I thought I could get the driver's attention and he would pull over. That effort was in vain as he got onto I-71 and went his merry way. I will now have to file a Civilian's Accident Report with the state.

When I pulled off the interstate under an overpass to survey the damage, I was furious. I swore like a sailor the rest of the way home. By the time I reached my place, it occurred to me that the only good thing about the incident is that my favorite bumper stickers survived almost completely unscathed!

I hope everyone's Friday was better than mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste