Skip to main content

Giving Thanks

Every year on Thanksgiving, it's important to me to spend some time in reflection on the blessings in my life, to give thanks for those things that I might otherwise take for granted. Can there be any better holiday than one in which you can take this sort of time to reflect?

Call me an optimist but I truly believe that each of us -- from the homeless to the wealthy -- can find a blessing somewhere in our life no matter how tough life has been each year. From the shelter with a free Thanksgiving meal for the homeless to the large bounty of food shared with loved ones, everyone can find one bit of light even in the darkest of times for which to give thanks. Every year there are more and with each new blessing, a new challenge. Isn't that what keeps us all going?

I like to share my own personal list of things for which I am thankful each year because, quite often, I am giving thanks for some of the same things as others today. I'll bet this year is no exception! I'm giving thanks this year for:
  • My Mom's ability to remain positive and determined while she undergoes chemotherapy to become cancer-free again -- she finishes this ravaging, yet life saving course of treatment at the end of next month.
  • My Dad's ability to remain positive and loving as he helps my Mom through a very rough time -- he keeps his sense of humor and fun so that we are all more at ease. He's amazing.
  • The supportiveness and love that I receive from both of my parents -- no matter how old I get, they always seem to be standing by to catch me if I fall. I can't imagine where I'd be without them.
  • My brother, my sister-in-law, my nieces, the yet unborn twins, and the close-knit family that surrounds us all -- I'm very blessed with a loving and smart brother of whom I am very proud. He has blessed our family with a wonderful woman and beautiful children of his own.
  • The man in my life who complements and enhances every moment with his own brand of love, wonderment, and thoughtfulness. He has given reality to the sort of relationship I thought was only possible in fairy tales. I am no longer an agnostic in the realm of love.
  • My friends who make life more fanciful, delightful, amusing, and worthwhile -- they are pirates, monsters, ruthless traders, good liars (at dice), fun dinner companions, supportive souls, adventurous drinkers and dancers, joke-tellers, and wonderful blessings indeed.
  • My fuzzy partner in crime, Iris, who sits quietly purring next to me while I spend hours on this computer -- she's my quiet companion, the soother of all things sad, the giver of all things warm, and a true joy.
  • The brave men and women who serve as police officers, firefighters, soldiers, marines, sailors, and airforce and their families who give of themselves every minute of every day to ensure the safety, security, and freedom that bless the American way of life -- God bless them all.
  • The charitable and kind people who give us all a place to donate our time, our treasures, and our talent to help our fellows in time of need -- through their actions and determination, they provide untold blessings even to those of us who are not in need but wish to give to others.
  • The people who touch a part of my life, unknowingly and at random -- each of them gives just a bit of his/herself that neither of us understands or fully appreciates immediately.
  • The interconnectedness that draws me to others -- we all feel it at moments in time, then pick it apart a thread at a time, only to find ourselves reconnected in thought or deed again. It is an unbreakable connection that blesses us all.
  • The irony of life that makes me wonder how events and people comes together in such humorous and unexpected ways.
  • The loving spirit of the Great Creator who touches me at moments when I need it most -- those moments serve to remind me that, no matter what has happened, it all makes sense in ways I may come to know later.
  • My continuing good health even when, at times I know I've done nothing to deserve it with the way I eat and indulge bad habits -- Maybe next year I can give thanks for my own good sense to take better care of myself.
  • My career and the people who make it a joy with their humor, their professionalism, and their intellect -- they make the most mundane and seemingly thankless jobs worthwhile.
  • The roof over my head that I often complain about because it's too small or the neighbors are too noisy -- I am fortunate to be able to provide for myself with the gifts I was given.
  • The food in my belly that I often don't even need -- by simply providing for myself, I will remain able to provide for others.
  • The technology at my fingertips -- these advancements allow me to create tools that make a difference in the world of commerce and provide the means to express myself freely in the world of ideas.
  • The sun that rises every day to warm and sustain this Earth -- yes, it's pretty dependable but the fact that it continues to be dependable is worthy of thanks.
  • The moon that lights my way at night and the stars that shine -- they serve to remind me that I am but a small speck in a very large and wonderous universe; humility is a blessing.
  • The smile that lights a face to relieve the pressure in times of stress -- I've often received or given that gift; a smile is truly a blessing.
  • The laughter that often erupts in times of confusion to clear the air -- what a relief it is to hear a laugh (tiny and nervous or large and loud) when uncertainty needs some release.
  • The warm handshake and/or hug of a new found friend -- the touch of another human being is a blessing that reminds us we are not alone with our passions, our fears, our joys, or our tears.
  • People who search for meaning in their world -- they share their thoughts with me to broaden my perspective and remind me that we are never far apart as human beings.
  • The changes in my world (personally, professionally, and politically) that keep me on my toes by forcing me to think, to care, and to share.
  • The ability to find this many things to be thankful for -- it means I have not lost the gift of optimism, humility, and gratitude.

May the coming year provide even more blessings for us all as we struggle to find meaning, to do good, and to understand each other in the interwoven threads of our lives.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Anonymous said…
GREAT PRAYER DAWN!!!
Rena Bernard said…
Thank you, Anon! I really hadn't looked at it as a prayer but I suppose it truly is, isn't it?

You know, I think my family discovered this little blog of mine just on Thanksgiving Day. I've mentioned it a few times but they've never taken an interest. For some reason, that day they did and they pulled it up on the computer and read this particular post. I think they were surprised at how much I write.

I guess it just goes to show you that, unless you pay particular attention to detail, you never really know your family members as well as you might think! ;o)

Here's a secondary prayer: May the coming year provide us all with the curiosity to seek new insights into the spirit of those we love. What an amazing life we'd all live if we were to TRULY know each other, huh?

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste