Skip to main content

Don't we owe them something?

This may seem a little off topic for my blog but I'm waxing philosophical this evening and felt like posing the question running through my mind to a wider audience. Let me explain. I do volunteer work every Monday night at a local place that cares for kids who are in dire straits. I don't want to breach any confidentiality so I'll leave the description at that. The particular area in which I volunteer is for kids under 5 years of age.

I leave there every Monday night with either a smile on my face or an ache in my heart. Sometimes both but either of which is a perfectly understandable result, I'm sure. The ache in my heart sometimes comes from the fact that there is almost NEVER just one child from an unfit home -- there are almost always at least two and, most often, there are three or more.

I guess my "issue" tonight could be best put in the words of Keanu Reeves's character in the movie Parenthood: "You have to have a license to drive and you even have to have a license to fish. But they'll let any butt reaming a$$hole be a parent."

The question that vexes me tonight (and many Monday nights) is:
Why do we continue to let unfit parents procreate ??

I know that we live in a free society and what I might suggest seems fascist but don't we, as the civilized beings that we think we are, owe it to kids to somehow monitor this? If the government is going to intervene at all in these types of situations, is it really so bad to make a semi-permanent birth control device (say depo-provera or norplant, for example) mandatory until it is verified that the parent is again (or for the first time ever) qualified to raise his/her children? Is that really fascist?

If my tax dollars and my volunteer time are considered an investment in the future of these children, shouldn't those same things come into play to do everything we can to see that the same kids (and even more siblings) don't end up back in the hands of the government?

Just thought I'd ask... what do you all think?

Comments

Rena Bernard said…
Forced sterilization? That's a scary thought.
And how long before they want to sterilize conservatives? After all...we're ruining their country, right?
I agree that it's a sticky situation -- once you start on that road it would indeed be quite tricky to keep it where it belongs. However, what I'm proposing is not sterilization, simply controlling the ability for unfit parents to continue to have kids until they straighten themselves out. Once the court confirms that the family home can indeed provide a better situation for the children, remove the birth control device.

Although, your point is well-taken. I could certainly envision a Liberal judge deciding that the teaching of Conservative values in the family home is bad for the children... I'd better start procreating like a rabbit just in case. We need to be certain to have a few more sassy Conservatives on hand to look out for the future of this great country!
Rena Bernard said…
Hehehehehe Well now, Genghis, that might be a darned good start! Instead, this looks a little more promising:

http://www.elitestv.com/pub/2004/Nov/EEN4194ce7079d8b.html
DAVID C. PRICE said…
Totally agree with the previous concerns with your idea. It's a slippery slope we step onto when we get into routine forced birth-control for anybody, not to mention the enormous clogging up of the judicial system, since everybody and their cousin is engaging in this practice...guess they think practice makes perfect so they keep having kids! Nevertheless, I would be more inclined to support government enforced parenting classes (pre-birth), much the same way driver's ed (to stick with your analogy) is often required. Thanks for the concern for the kids...we need more of it!

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste