Skip to main content

For the women in your life...

I was recently informed by my doc that I had an "abnormal mammogram" result. I prefer to think that my films got mixed up with Abby Normal's films. ;-) However, that's not the case. So, being the annoying analytic that I am, I googled the bejeezus out of "abnormal mammogram" last night and tonight. If you know someone who has been given the same news, please pass on some statistics that I am currently finding some comfort in:

* Approximately 90% of women with abnormal results do not have breast cancer.
* Approximately one in 10 patients with abnormal mammogram results or a breast lump will have breast cancer.

I've never had much luck gambling so I'm a bit worried. I am 41-years-old, an ex-smoker, don't get regular exercise, take oral contraceptives, and have never given birth. Those facts didn't provide much comfort to me as many of them are considered risk factors. I don't think of myself as a worry wart but I'm sure that's because I don't pay attention to a darned thing I say... however, it is a startling phrase to hear from your doctor. I find myself dwelling now on my own mortality (likely prematurely).

If, after my follow-up ultrasound and spot compression views on Thursday, I find those statistics mean nothing in my case, expect to see more info than you'd care to know about breast cancer on this blog. And, do yourself and any woman in your life a big favor. Remind her often to do the breast self-exam at least weekly and to have a mammogram yearly if she is 40 or over. I haven't been as thorough as that and sure wish I had.

Oh, and for any of you fellas out there who wonder what having a mammogram feels like, here's a little experiment you can do at home. Lie down on the pavement below your open garage door, flop your most private of parts down just on the line where your garage door meets the pavement, press the Close button on your automatic garage door control. When the garage door has fully closed on Mr. Happy, you'll know what a mammogram feels like! ;-) Really though, don't try this at home.

Comments

El Jefe Maximo said…
Strong odds are it's nothing, but I know something about where you are. Couple of years back I had a "shadow" appear in a chest x-ray, and spend the next couple of weeks in a major tizzy till they did an MRI and found nothing.

Gonna pass on that garage door test -- agree with Genghis on that one.
Rena Bernard said…
Thanks for the good words, Genghis and El Jefe. Had the follow-ups done today -- made it to the hospital through the aftermath of a massive snow and ice storm that hit us yesterday thanks to my little brother and a Jeep! I'm feeling pretty convinced that I'm just going to be just fine. I didn't feel any alarm at what they found today. I'll get the actual report in a couple of days but I'm no longer worried. You guys are the best!
GreatBlueWhale said…
Well Dawn, I have had three "abnormal" test results this past year, all of which included a chance of cancer. So far, none have been. I won't tell you not to worry, since I couldn't stop myself from the same thing.
I'll be putting you on our prayer list, for as Ben Franklin's Poor Richard said, "God heals, physicians collect the fees."
GBW
Rena Bernard said…
Thanks, GBW. I sure appreciate all the support! I got the results yesterday from my doc and all is well. Benign but needs to be monitored every 6 months. Evidently, fibrocystic disease is the cause and it can be controlled through diet and supplements. So... much ado about nothing, I suppose. I am, by nature, a worrywart. I knew this was going to drive me nuts and it did! ;-) Thanks for all the support though. It made a worrisome situation feel less threatening. You guys rule!

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste