Skip to main content

Novels that I've Re-read?

Hugh suggested that the blogosphere entertain the question of novels that are worth a re-read... Well, to be quite frank about it, I stay a bit too busy to re-read many books. Most of those I re-read are really more for reference (non-fiction) than for pleasure (fiction). There was a time in my life when I was a stay-at-home stepmother and had more time -- back then, not only did I re-read a novel, I re-read it aloud to my husband. Actually we took turns. We both liked to read at bedtime so we decided to take turns each night reading the novel aloud to each other. It was not only a pleasurable exercise in reading but it was a great time to just enjoy each other's company. What novel could inspire such an exercise in togetherness? Believe it or not, it was Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! ...it didn't keep that marriage together but it certainly kept us entertained while we were growing apart... ;-)

The only other novels that I've re-read at any time in my life were the books of JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. I don't know why. I just always found them entertaining no matter where I picked up the story or how often I read the books. I actually hesitated to see the movies because I was afraid that, like so many other books that have been made into movies, they would be unfaithful to the storyline and/or context of the books. Thankfully, the movies have been every bit as good as the books. I suppose I won't ever have to re-read these again now that the DVDs are for sale.

How about you all... any novels that you keep on hand to re-read for pleasure?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste