Skip to main content

Overpass Rally

I am happy to report that Protest Warrior's overpass rally in support of the elections in Iraq was a complete success on Friday afternoon during rush hour traffic. My heartfelt and enthusiastic thanks to BlueOneGolf and Kadnine. It would not have happened without them!

The three of us deployed to the I-64 overpass at Browns Lane in St. Matthews around 16:30 Friday. BlueOneGolf had acquired all of the military service flags and a flag with all the service emblems that stated "We support our troops." He quickly attached those along with Old Glory to his truck, which he conspicuously parked on the shoulder of the overpass with the hazard blinkers on. Kadnine and I unfurled my poorly-stenciled "God Bless the Free Iraq" banner and held tightly to the top of it as it draped in the wind over the overpass. We were short a pair of hands as one of our compatriots had to address the realities of life and couldn't make it at the last minute on Friday. However, we quickly regrouped and figured out how to unfurl and hold onto the second banner which (again, in my sub-standard stencil style) read "God Bless America."

The response was amazing! Not only did cars on Browns Lane (behind us) honk and wave, just about every 18-wheeler and many, many cars on the interstate sent us their support via some long, enthusiastic horn blasts and open-window waves. At one point, I heard a honk from behind me on Browns Lane... I turned around to see a St. Matthews police cruiser pulled over on the opposite shoulder of the overpass. Before I could even worry about being in trouble, the officer smiled, waved, and gave me a big thumbs up! He pulled off and left us grinning. Thank you, officer! I have yet to meet a police officer anywhere in Louisville who doesn't enjoy seeing us out there on the streets showing our support for all the great ideals for which our nation stands. God bless them all!

About fifteen minutes after our mission began, a WLKY-32 news truck pulled off the shoulder about 10 yards from where we stood. They videotaped something with a reporter but never talked to us (on camera or off). As far as I can tell there was no coverage on WLKY that evening so who knows what they were up to? It was odd in many ways... why shoot a reporter talking about something with the I-64 traffic in the background? Why choose the same overpass? Go figure.

Toward the end of our mission, I was determined to get a picture of the rally from the interstate level and left the fellas on the overpass to find my way down to the freeway. I hopped the guardrail, scrambled down into the brush, crawled under some barbed wire and emerged on the grass of the westbound side of I-64. Snapped a few pictures (the best of which I've posted here) and crawled back up. I felt like a commando. I suppose that's about as close as I'm going to get to commando status at my advanced age, eh? ;-) By the time I got back to the overpass, the news truck was gone and it was almost 6pm. It was time to draw the mission to a close.

Again, my deepest thanks to Kadnine and BlueOneGolf for their enthusiasm and dedication to the cause. I hope that Kadnine will share the pictures of our mission with his compatriots still in Iraq. We are so proud of them all and proud of the Iraqi people who are voting today!!


Letting our Free Flags Fly! The banner says "God Bless the Free Iraq"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste