Skip to main content

Update on the Essay

Thanks so much for the comments back at the original post on this, GBW and El Jefe Maximo. I think it is glorious that you both took opposite positions on how I should go on this! I'm sure I've taken on more than I can chew though as I chose to take the pro-outsourcing position for my essay. I only need to provide a decent argument along with data and expert opinion references to make the point on a narrow thesis, so I'm hoping I can pull that off. Found lots of good articles at The Economist and CIO Magazine. I wonder if he'll see these sources as valid.

Here is my message to the instructor regarding my choice of topic for the persuasive essay:

...After taking a second look at the topics and the purpose of our essays, I've selected "Outsourcing Jobs to Foreign Countries" as my topic. I find this topic interesting from an economic as well as a political point of view. It seems quite suitable for a Persuasive Essay because arguments can certainly be made for either side of the outsourcing issue. This particular subject was popular during the Presidential campaign last year. As a matter of fact, I overheard it being discussed a number of times, passionately, by people from different socio-economic circumstances. Since it is a topic of current concern, there are likely be plentiful sources of data with which to support either side of an argument. I think this topic lends itself well to the Persuasive Essay and will be quite challenging.

Here is the instructor's response, at the bottom of which he did give me a perfect score for choice of topic and rationale by the way:

Excellent topic choice for your essay. While I am a firm believer in freedom of choice for business, not at the expense of our American workers. Let me get off of my soapbox and share with you this important fact. Do not allow emotions to dictate your research, allow critical thinking to be your guide and you will do just fine with your paper development.

Good luck to you!

I subsequently submitted a brainstorming exercise in which I used phrases like "companies are not welfare institutions," "companies CAN be regulated right out of business," and "where's the incentive for a company to stay in the US?" Surprisingly enough, he gave me a perfect score for my brainstorming exercise! I would say that this might not be as difficult as I was afraid it would be. Maybe this instructor is less political... am I crazy?!

Comments

Rena Bernard said…
Quick Update on My Essay -- the instructor is evidently not the typical college professor type who allows his students to read only the pages on the left of the textbook! ;-) I'm very pleased with school and feel like my essay will go well regardless of the stance I have taken. I'm quite proud of my instructor!

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste