Skip to main content

Robert Loftice

As my last entry going into a computer-free Memorial Day weekend, I wanted to remember my Great-Grandfather, Robert Loftice, and the widow he left behind.

Robert Loftice died while serving our country in World War I. It wasn't discussed much by the time I was born so I'm not sure exactly where he served or what role he played in the war. I hope to find out this weekend from some of my older relatives on that side of the family. All I remember of my Great-Grandfather is an old picture of him in his uniform -- Army, I believe -- that used to hang on the wall in my Great-Grandmother's bedroom.

My Great-Grandmother ("Granny"), Ora Loftice, was a war widow who never remarried. The children they had together before his death were raised by Granny and her closest relatives. I don't know if she never remarried out of respect for his memory or simply because she worked too hard to find the time to consider it. For whatever reason, she never did. She will be remembered this weekend too as the widow of a fallen hero who was a hero to her family.

Most Conservatives with any respect for our country and its heroes know that Memorial Day was originally "Decoration Day." It was designated as a day to visit and decorate the graves of our country's fallen war heroes. May 30th was designated because it was thought to be a time of year when flowers would be in abundance across the United States, making it easier to find suitable flowers to place on the graves. This year, if I can find him in the old cemetary, I will honor the memory of Robert Loftice and his widow both. I'm honored to be descended from such good people.

For a touching tribute to our fallen warriors, you must see the GOP's video tribute. It will raise goosebumps on anyone with the heart of a patriot.

I pray that all of our brave men and women in combat will make it home safely and soon so that no one will visit their graves before they've lived a good, full life with their families. May God keep his hand upon them in the course of their duties to our country and keep his watchful eye on their safety. God bless America and the men and women who make her great.

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste