Skip to main content

Findling: A voice of honesty in Ms. Magazine?

As some of you know, I do not take the issue of abortion lightly; nor do I approach it as an issue that is solely religious, scientific, or political. It is much larger than that. It is an issue of the heart and of the mind. It is a "choice" that, when taken lightly, can ruin the life of the woman who makes it. I speak from personal experience and am only able to do so because I dealt with it before it cost me my life. Others are not always so fortunate.

I saw this article and thought, "oh great, more false pride over a devastating 'choice'." Then, as I read it, I realized that only one woman in the crowd of feminist voices was being honest with herself and with women who might actually read the "We Had Abortions" issue of Ms. Magazine. Thank God for women like Debbie Findling of San Francisco! From the article:
She says too many of her allies in the abortion-rights movement tend to minimize, at least publicly, the psychological impact of abortion.

"It's emotionally devastating," she said in a phone interview. "I don't regret my decision but I regret having been put in the position to have to make that choice. It's something I'll live with for the rest of my life."
Debbie, as one who had to deal with her own grief over "choice," I appreciate your voice of sanity and honesty. I am glad that Ms. Magazine didn't drop you from the list because you chose to be honest. Thank you for your words. I hope that young women worldwide read and understand your words because it could save their lives one day.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I do not advocate a total ban on abortion in the United States. I believe it is sometimes a sad but necessary procedure that should remain available (without government funding). However, I do advocate very tight restrictions and much better education on the psychological impact of abortion on the mother. Abortion, which is so lightly called "choice," is life-altering in ways that young women will not immediately understand nor recognize without help.

I once stood among pro-lifers outside of a local abortion clinic in Louisville. And sadly, I must tell you that protesting with cries of "don't kill your baby!" does no good. Young women who make this "choice" out of fear or out of a desire to continue their lives undisturbed by an inconvenient pregnancy will not respond to that emotional cry. They are fearful and self-focused.

For these young women to stop and consider what they are doing, they need to know that their psychological well-being will be jeopardized in ways they are not able to recognize, in ways that may ruin their lives and their wills to live. A woman's body knows when she's a mother and knows when she's killed the life inside her -- that is a wound to the heart and the mind that no young woman expects and very few will be equipped to deal with honestly until it's too late. One young death is a shame but two young deaths is a tragedy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste