Skip to main content

Knob Creek's 2006 Fall Shoot

Thanks to the morning Rove rally and "From Home" mission, Saturday was a very full day from the beginning; however, the day would not have been complete without a trip to Knob Creek Gun Range in Westpoint, Kentucky for this year's Fall Machine Gun Shoot.

As usual, it was a blast (pun intended); however, this year there seemed to be more new t-shirt slogans and handouts about different issues. The favorite t-shirt seemed to be the one with "Infidel" printed on it in English and in Arabic -- a personal favorite of mine. In the vendor areas, you can find almost any type of specialized shooting equipment you might want along with t-shirts, bumperstickers, and military memorabilia.

One thing I truly enjoy about being around people who practice and cherish their 2nd Amendment rights is these folks know their history and pay attention to politics. I always seem to run into interesting reading material there and this year was no exception. I bought a book titled Sacred Rage -- The Wrath of Militant Islam by Robin Wright. This book was first published in 1985 when it was becoming very apparent to some Americans that we were being pushed into a war we did not cause nor did we want.

Her book is an examination of the roots, the motives, and the goals of this fanatical Islamo-fascist war against our country in historical context. It has been updated since the attacks on 9/11/01 with additional information on Afghanistan and the broader picture of Islamic extremism -- I only wish I had the original version of this book as I'm sure it was prophetic for its time.

As to the political handouts this year, I ran into only one. It was handed to me by Barry Weinstein who participated in the Minuteman Project and is an activist for immigration reform. Barry is advocating a boycott of tourism to Massachusetts and Arizona due to Kennedy and McCain's strong support for Senate Bill 2611. Read Barry's full article on the boycott here.

During major election years, there are always stickers and banners for the Conservative candidates -- although, it's a big mistake to assume that all gun owners are Republicans; many prefer the Constitution or Libertarian party. Never mistake a Constitution party member for a Republican; they really dislike that!

The funniest thing about going to these shoots is that there are so many men strolling around in BDUs and most of them haven't ever had a military haircut in their lives! It's hard to know who's currently serving, who might have been a vet, and who is just wearing some cool duds. I have to laugh because when my Dad was in the army they couldn't even wear fatigues off post!

I cannot even begin to tell you how awesome the night shoot is. It is probably the closest thing to a war zone that most of us will ever experience without actually being in real danger. It's full of explosions, tracers, and machine gun fire. Pictures certainly don't do it justice but it's the closest thing I've got to a description of it. Unfortunately, this year I wasn't in a good spot to take pictures of the targets being hit. We mostly saw the explosions and the tracers. Okay, enough annoying text... I know what you really want... Pictures!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste