Skip to main content

Bravo, Bush!

After watching President Bush's speech last night and reading/watching commentary from various sources afterward, I am amazed that people aren't more reassured about where this war is going and what lies ahead for us. It was a very clear roadmap that included a very comprehensive set of measurable milestones.

What are those milestones? Americans should see Iraqi security forces fully in charge of all provinces by November; legislation passed to share oil revenues; $10 billion worth of Iraqi money invested in reconstruction and infrastructure projects; provincial elections later this year; and a reformation of the de-Baathification laws and a fair process for Iraqi Constitutional amendments.

Currently, this war is taking place all over the world. Some of it is known to the US public; some of it is yet to be known. While the Bush-haters in DC are busy leaking classified secrets to the press, our government has managed to maintain enough secrecy to successfully squelch terrorist plans in the US while continuing to track Al Qaeda across the globe. While critics here in the States were complaining that the Iraqi front was causing the US to take our eye off the ball (Al Qaeda), suddenly we find that our eye has never been off the ball at all. As a matter of fact, we're fighting this war on three fronts (that we know of) right now and doing a darned good job.

Gee, who knew we were working with Ethiopia in Somalia? Hmmm. The news that we killed one of the masterminds behind the bombings of US embassies in Africa was great news! This old red, white, and blue dog is still in the hunt. That feels really good to know. Somalia has been rotten with Islamofascists for years now. It's a known terrorist haven.

I feel more reassured and more confident that victory on the Iraqi front is within reach after hearing the president speak last night. I am glad he isn't one who caves in to popular (or media-endorsed) opinions. He has stuck to what he said he would do all along. We're hunting them down. The only difference now is that we are adjusting and realigning our tactics with the changing face of the situation in Iraq.

We have a new strategy that is comprehensive -- including military, political, and economic factors in that plan is brillant. And, I must say, I applauded loudly (scared the bejeezus out of my cat but she's jumpy that way anyway) when I heard that we plan to secure Iraq's borders with Syria and Iran as part of this new plan. No more terrorists and weaponry into Iraq while we clean up the place. Seems like good old-fashioned common sense to me. We can do that from within Iraq's borders.

Another very important piece of the speech last night was not lost on me. We have a problem with Iraqi officials being a bit unwilling to put down the militias in that country. Part of that unwillingness is our fault -- yep, I'm blaming the American media, politicians, and uninformed Americans for something: Why would any sane Iraqi leader put down a militia that may save your butt if the Americans pull out suddenly and leave a horrendous power vacuum? You wouldn't. If you were Prime Minister Maliki you would need to have an army to protect you if that happened; you'd want to be able to say, "Hey, I protected you (Al-Sadr) and your army while the Americans were here. Help ME now."

We are at fault for the hesitance of the Iraqi leadership to wipe the slate clean and rebuild your nation. America left them twisting in the wind once back in 1991 when they thought we were coming through to clean house there. Many brave Iraqis who wanted our help and thought freedom was within reach died as a result. Why would they trust us this time? We need to show them that we won't cut and run before they can plant their feet firmly in freedom this time.

It was also nice to hear the president prepare the American people with realistic projections about what we can expect to see on TV even after this "troop surge." There will indeed be more violence and any American who doesn't realize that has never backed a wild animal into a corner -- they fight ferociously. Unfortunately, that's a sign of progress that no one wants to see but it will be news and it will be necessary.

I applaud his plan and his resolve. Most of all though, I'm glad to hear that the gloves are finally off. Let's get this done. Bravo, President Bush!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're kidding, right? The British are withdrawing 6,ooo troops and Bush keeps a bunch of ours there while kicking in some more. George Bush is stuck on stupid and this is just more of the same ol' stay the course b.s.
Rena Bernard said…
No, I'm not kidding in the least, Bill. Were you not paying attention to the speech?... with an open mind?

Regardless of what the British choose to do we are choosing the right course of action here. This is not "stay the course," this is evaluate, adjust, and win.

Part of the reason we're not having as much success as we'd like so we can get out of Iraq is because people like you keep giving the Iraqis a reason not to trust us enough to give up the militias and the in-fighting. They can't come together until there's some trust that Americans are willing to see this through. I can't say I blame them because last time they trusted us in 1991, we didn't roll through and finish the job at hand. It would have been smoother back then when Iraqis wanted their freedom more than they cared about their sect.
Anonymous said…
Dawn, you are not correct in that they wanted their freedom more than they cared about their sect. The different sects have been at war with each other for centuries and do not have the same sense of country that we do. Their religion is their country. We will never stop the fighting between sects. Thanks for listening.
Rena Bernard said…
You're probably right, Anon 9:57pm. I was a little over the top on that one. Point well made and well taken.

However, I do believe many Iraqis were ready for a revolution to reclaim their freedom from Hussein back then though. They made it pretty clear and then faced death for their support of revolution after we left the region.

I'm curious about your opinion on this: Do you think we would have faced as tough a battle to stabilize Iraq had we helped them overthrow Hussein back in 1991 as we're facing now?
Kadnine said…
When I was there, I found the Iraqis to be far more nationalistic than I expected to find them. Purple fingers and long lines at police recruiting stations prove it. Or, they prove it to me, at least. By Western standards, they're still pretty tribal, but by Middle Eastern standards they're fairly nationalistic.

As for Bush's speech, I didn't find it as inspiring as you did, Dawn. But then, I'm kind of down of the whole mission these days. We've acheived every one of our tactical goals and I'm torn on the issue of leaving. For one thing, I think we owe the Iraqis a better deal than the slaughter cut-and-run would give them. But I'm also reluctant to move the goal posts on what defines success, and tactically, we've won! We invaded, deposed Saddamn, handed control of Iraq to the Iraqi people, and cleared up the question of WMDs.

The only goal left unsettled, the only thing preventing us from leaving with a clear conscience is the lack of stability in the new government, and that's a two way street, frankly. I'm happy to pony up responsibilty for our mistakes, (there's no love lost between me and Paul Bremer, I'll tell you that for free!) but I refuse to own Iraq's hesitancy.

Ideally I'd like to see America quintuple our advisory personel. Right now, we have about one Western trainer for every hundred Iraqi military. It really needs to be ten times that. It's getting better, but not very quickly. And I don't think Bush sending 21,500 general purpose reinforcements makes for an adequate substitute. I hope I'm wrong here.

I'd also like to see the new Iraqi government, as a trust-building excercize with the Iraqi people, take Jonah Goldberg's advice and hold a national reforendum on America's presence. Either way the vote turns out, the new government would gain the crucial credibility it now lacks.

Let's see... Oh! I was happy to see Bush note the improvements in Iraq's economy and infrastructure. And I was happy to note that the President thinks there are too many restraints placed on our tropps. (I really hope he follows through on this. Kid gloves belong in the horse barn, not on the battlefield.) But the rest of his speech sounded pretty boiler-plate to me.

*Shrug*
Rena Bernard said…
Great points, Kad. I think you, as a veteran of Iraq, will always have a more level-headed perspective because you not only see the big picture but you've seen the finer details up close.

You and a lot of other Conservatives are right about us having achieved the original goals in Iraq. I wish the President and his advisors would clarify phases for the American people. We've clearly moved on from our original goals but they WERE MET.

I guess I'm an optimist at heart, folks. I see the progress that's being made in this war and wonder why others don't. I see the phases, the fronts, the strategies clearly and wonder why others can't or won't. It seems very clear to me where we're going and how we're going to get there.

Patience, American unity, and straighter spines will get us there.

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste