Skip to main content

Circus of the Absurd

I just read "Blog-blocking case gets federal hearing" by Jack Brammer on the Lexington Herald-Leader's website. Yes, even though I've been knee-deep lately in the circus of the absurd called "Bluegrass Report" and its connection to State Treasurer Jonathan Miller, I found this paraphrased bit from Nickolas's attorney absolutely ludicrous!
... "Greg Beck, an attorney for Nickolas with the Washington, D.C.-based Public Citizen, said it's an important case and that 'decision-makers' probably should be questioned about the policy of blocking political blogs while permitting the use of traditional news sites." ...
Excuse me?! Is Mr. Beck comparing the Kentucky gossip rag called "Bluegrass Report" to a mainstream news website? Look, I recognize that many of today's journalists tend to color their reporting with their own opinions. I don't think it's humanly possible to be completely objective so I don't come down too hard on that. It's human nature. However, to compare a wholly opinion-based blog written with a completely transparent (even though unstated) bias to a traditional news website is just ludicrous!

Is Governor Fletcher violating Playboy's first amendment rights by banning the Playboy website from use by state employees during working hours? I think not. Heck, the writing in Playboy is more interesting and articulate than the juvenile nonsense posted at Bluegrass Reports! (Yep, you read that right.)

Give me, and the other taxpayers in Kentucky, a freakin' break!! Not only should this case get tossed out on its unjustifiable arse but Nickolas ought to have to reimburse the state for the lost productivity and taxpayer funds that are going into defending a perfectly sensible decision to ban unproductive, time-wasting blogs from use by state employees during working hours. Ack!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dawn,

I know Billy Harper and serve on a board with him. He is a genuine person and he believes in what he is saying. I do take a couple of issues with specific topics but that is not important to this post. Let me say that Billy Harper would make a good Governor of the state of Kentucky. The problem is it is not the right time for him to be running. He needs more state wide recognition and a network of republican to be electable. The race in 2011 would be good time for Billy and he has said publicly he had always intended to run in 2011.

It does not matter how much money is spent by Billy it will not make up the necessary ground to win in 2007. If you talk to the average voter, not a political activists or pundit, you will find they have not heard of Billy even after spending 2.5 million dollars. His message has been lost in the shuffle. At this point all I see Billy doing is building name recognition for a future race.
Anonymous said…
Dawn,

This is outrageous!! Kentucky Treasurer Jonathan Miller should be on the list to tesitfy!!

along with:
kathy stein
al cross

OPEN ALL BOOKS FROM ALL BANKS NICKOLAS!!!
Anonymous said…
Dawn

What an AWESOME article you published below this one!!!

Corruption of Miller???
Abuse of power????

Pure Happenstance???

Dah!!!!!
Rena Bernard said…
I don't know, Anon 7:47am, I think I've got to differ with you on that. While I know that party unity is important to the effort to keep a Conservative in the governor's chair, I also know that I'm not seeing enough true Conservatism coming out of Frankfort. I can't fault the governor solely for that but I certainly fault some of his strategies. He's made enemies where he should have made friends in Frankfort. My opinion is that all this comes from taking a little fish from a big pond (DC) and making him a big fish in a little pond (Frankfort)... maybe a power issue?

I worked hard in 2003 in Jefferson County for Fletcher's campaign. That county is probably one of our bluest counties but I consistently heard from people on the street that they were sick of the mess in Frankfort -- they truly wanted someone to take over up there who would be squeaky clean and attend to the business of government and not the business of favors and fund-raising. No matter how many good things he's done (and there have been quite a few, granted) they're overshadowed by the disappointment.

As most people know, one "Aw, s*it, outweighs a hundred "attaboys." I think that's unfortunately the case here.
Rena Bernard said…
(continued thought from my previous comment):

When I mention the name Billy Harper to average folks who aren't really much into current affairs, I usually get something similar to this: "Isn't he the guy running for governor?"

Even if he is simply building name recognition now, I'll accept that as a good thing. I like the cut of his jib so far and whether he wins this year or in 2011, he's looking like a real leader for this state.
Anonymous said…
Dawn,

I just sent you an email regarding being my wife & my posts being deleted at Pol Watchers.

Seems to be a Miller bias and Nickolas bias over there.

Please help get our message out. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste