Skip to main content

Citizen's Petition to Impeach Kentucky Attorney General

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by Amy Mischler with regard to sharing information with my readers about the way she has been (mis)treated by the Pike County Attorney's office and then subsequently by Kentucky's Attorney General, Greg Stumbo.

It's a long story but it begins with her divorce from her now ex-husband and his influence with the Pike County Attorney. The Pike County Attorney was a campaign contributor to Greg Stumbo's campaign for Kentucky Attorney General. The net of the story is that she has since been convicted on a sham case -- details are given in the video embedded below -- while her child support case goes unheard in Pike County. How do such things happen? Well, it appears that her ex-husband enjoys political protection at the state level thanks to his friendship with a campaign contributor. That's how.

I'm not one to use the term "unfair" because, frankly, I believe the world is simply and unequivocally unfair. However, when political corruption is involved, it's not just unfair, it's illegal. Yes, even in Kentucky. Folks, if you are outside of the state of Kentucky, you may not be surprised to find that politics here haven't moved much past the "good ole boy" days of the early 1900s, especially in the eastern part of the state. In "coal country," you're either dirt poor or you're wealthy. There aren't many people in between those two extremes unless you're politically connected. Sorry... tangent there.

Amy Mischler created a blog a few years ago called "The Pike County Injustice Files" in which she documented her situation out of frustration. She tried to get the word out there that something very wrong was happening to her. Now, she's taken a huge step forward on the issue and will be filing a petition for the impeachment of Attorney General Greg Stumbo.
"Grassroots impeachment of sitting Kentucky Attorney General Greg Stumbo goes to the Kentucky House of Representatives this Friday [2/9/07]. What will they do?

Impeachment alleged violations of equal protection under the law; Stumbo claimed he had no jurisdiction or intention to investigate a corrupt prosecutor. The prosecutor is a campaign contributor to Stumbo. Later, in an open records request, the Attorney Generals office verified that it did have jurisdiction to investigate that prosecutor."

Amy has decided to plead her case to Kentuckians in video as well:



This whole thing smacks of truth, if you ask me. Greg Stumbo had his own tangle not too long ago with a woman demanding child support. He "fathered" (very loose term in this case) a son as a result of an affair with Travis Fritsch and later refused to acknowledge his paternity while sending her money intermittently for support of the child. Travis sued Stumbo for back child support; he answered that suit by suing her for harrassment. Adding insult to injury for his mistress and his son, Stumbo then attempted to have his case heard in Floyd County (eastern Kentucky) where he has a great advantage: he served for 24 years as a state legislator from that district before being elected attorney general and that doesn't even touch on his family connections. Talk about a conflict of interest all the way around!

So, if you're a Kentuckian (regardless of political affiliation), this story is extremely important. I don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of this sort of political intimidation and corruption at the state government level! To remove it, we must expose it, speak out against it, and support those who do. After all, folks, our elected officials are elected to serve US regardless of whether we contributed to their campaigns. Correct?

From what I understand, Amy's impeachment petition is not available online for signatures; however, if you would like to help her in this fight, you can certainly file an affidavit in support of her petition. If you think you can help, please email me and I will put you in touch with her.

I will continue to post information about this effort as I get it. In the meantime, I highly encourage all legislators regardless of party to give this petition serious consideration. It is way past time for some solid ethics reform right here in Kentucky.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This type of corruption from Scumbo does not surprise me at all. He has long been known for bending the edge of justice in his favor--and you'll hear this from BOTH sides of the aisle. If this effort is not successful, I would suggest she go to the U.S. attorney in her district and call the KY Bar Association who are both able to investigate claims of corruption by elected officials and lawyers. She should also discuss this issue with the Ethics Commission if only to get the proceedings on the public record.
Anonymous said…
Who's her attorney? She may need to shop around for a better one.
Anonymous said…
Dawn,

Why can't we find any better politicians in this state? We have the corrupt, unethical governor candidate Jonathan Miller.

We have the seemingly corrupt unethical Stumbo.

We have Merck paying legislative members of "Women In Government" to lobby their new vaccine which - by the way - the vaccine has NOT been tested to determine if the vaccine CAUSES cancer and/or birth defects.

MY GOD!!!! Dawn, You got my vote - I'll do my write in.

-Lady
Anonymous said…
Before rattling off and spouting Mischler's diatribe, you should do a bit of background work:

http://truthiscrucial.blogspot.com/

and check with newspapers and journalists throughout the state.

Maybe even consider checking court records.
Rena Bernard said…
Anon 9:06am, I think she is acting as her own attorney. I know she's gone to law school but I'd actually think about getting someone with more experience on my side if I were her. I hope she'll follow the good advice she'll be getting in blog commentaries such as those posted here.

Anon 5:52pm, I took at look at the site you mentioned. Sure seems like there is a lot of information that everyone who is interested in this particular case needs to see. I highly recommend that everyone who reads this blog take a look at the other site as well. It's always a good idea to hear both sides of the story...
Amy Mischler said…
Dawn,

I have taken my documents to attorneys. The last one kept them for over two weeks and tried to get other attorneys to take the case. I get the same thing I have been told over and over. Everybody is afraid of Stumbo. I have been told by several individuals that Thomas Clay is the only attorney that could handle this case; but I have bothered to call him because I don't have $15,000.00 to put down as a retainer.

So that leaves me. And I keep telling myself that "I can do all things through HIM who strengthens me". I completely understand that my approach has been unorthodox. I think of it guerilla legal manuvering on a shoestring budget.

Oh, by the way the person running the "truth is crucial" blog is my ex husband attorney Jonah Stevens. You see, he hides behind a pseudonym. He makes many statements on his blog, but doesn't back them up with documents. I have a whole other website devoted to documents. I have no problem with anybody reading his blog; as long as they understand that he can't back up his statements with court documents.

Thank you for taking the time to post about Stumbo's impeachment. I truly appreciate it.
Anonymous said…
I CANT BELIEVE HOW FAR AMY MISCHLER WILL GO TO TRY AND DESTROY HER EX-HUSBAND. HER CONSTANT PARADE OF LIES AND HALF TRUTHS SICKENS ME. TO MAKE IT SHORT JOHAN STEVEN HAS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM TAKING CARE OF HIS CHILDREN. HE HAS ALWAYS PROVIDED THEM WITH INSURANCE AND CHILD SUPPORT WITH OUT BEING ORDERED TO DO SO. HE NOW HAS CUSTODY OF HIS CHILDREN AND THANK GOD FOR THAT SINCE AMY MISCHLER OBVIOUSLY NEEDS MENTAL HELP. IF AMY HAD NOTHING TO HIDE AND ALL THESE THINGS SHE SAYS WERE TRUE, SURELY SHE WOULD FEEL THAT SHE COULD TELL THE ENTIRE STORY AND STOP SPENDING ALL HER TIME TRYING TO IMPEACH GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND PERHAPS FIND HERSELF A JOB.
Amy Mischler said…
To 1:29,

Please be advised that in a evidentiary hearing on Feburary 9, 2007 in front of Judge Janie Wells Attorney Jonah Stevens stated on the record that he purposely canceled his own children's insurance because it was cheaper to pay for the doctor visits instead of paying for the premiums.

The tape is with the Johnson County Circuit Clerk if you want a copy of it.

Its in a vhs format, if I could put in a digital format I would have it placed on You Tube.
Anonymous said…
So he was paying for their medical bills. It is my understanding that the kids did in fact have medical insurance at the time of your protest or so the News Express says. It is also my understanding that he also gave you money to buy the medicine that your son needed. It seems that you omit certain facts from your writing. Has is ever occurred to you that while this name calling of yours may cause your ex-husband problems, it will most certainly cause your children many problems.
Rena Bernard said…
Anon 1:29pm, there's no need to shout! In case no one's told you, typing in ALL CAPS is akin to shouting when you post comments online. Just a word to the wise. ;-)

Anon 9:88pm, I assume that when you use the word "you," you are referring to Amy not to me. Is that correct?

Here are my two-cents: if the ex-husband wants to ensure that his ex-wife has freedom and need not worry, he can certainly abide by a court-ordered child support. If he wants to retain some sort of control over his ex-wife, he will pay as he wishes. That's inappropriate. I believe Amy is fully justified in asking for a court-ordered child support that includes medical coverage. Most couples do it that way through a third-party bank account so as not to put their children in the middle of the divorce. Why not in this case?
Anonymous said…
As for Amy Mischler I only have one thought- Why would so many people be out to get such a little person? I find it hard to believe that so many people would really be out to get one woman.
Anonymous said…
For the same reason someone like 5:25 keeps checking in on the posting of a story thats over a month old.

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste