Skip to main content

Talk about an inconvenient truth...

Over the weekend, Australian Prime Minister John Howard committed a classic gaffe, saying that a proposal by newly minted presidential candidate Barack Obama to withdraw troops from Iraq would only encourage the civilized world's terrorist enemies. Said Mr. Howard: "If I were running al Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory not only for Mr. Obama but also for the Democrats."

Talk about an inconvenient truth. Mr. Howard's remarks were immediately denounced as an inappropriate meddling in U.S. politics. Sen. Ron Wyden called them "bizarre." Terry McAuliffe, former chairman of the DNC, dismissed Mr. Howard as "a great friend of George Bush's," adding, "We don't care what he says."

Mr. Howard's real sin was to say what few in the U.S. have been willing to say for fear of giving offense or being accused of "questioning the patriotism" of the war's critics. As detailed in the latest New Yorker magazine, Sen. Joe Lieberman is a rare exception -- and is regularly viewed by Democrats (especially Hillary Clinton) as having crossed the line into unacceptable behavior for observing that insurgent attacks on U.S. troops and Iraqi civilians are meant to provoke U.S. politicians to wash their hands of the war.

But this is exactly the victory the enemy seeks. How can the war intelligently be debated without acknowledging the enemy's fundamental strategic principle -- to turn the U.S. lack of staying power against it? That's a good question, but one only a foreign ally can perhaps raise at this point.

With 1,400 troops in Iraq and as a stalwart supporter of the U.S. global war on terror, Mr. Howard is right to fear for his own nation's security if the U.S. goes wobbly. He pointed to the potential ripple effects of a withdrawal in emboldening groups closer to home, such as Indonesia's Jemaah Islamiyah, responsible for the Bali terrorist bombings. Rep. Duncan Hunter, a California Republican and former chairman of the Armed Services Committee who is also running for president, put it this way: "I think the Aussies have earned a right to comment on the world stage about their partner in this endeavor.

(Thanks for the insightful commentary, Joe!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Partner!? Australia has only 1,400 troops in Iraq!

"If he's ginned up to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq. Otherwise it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric," Obama said.
Anonymous said…
Last I heard it was 850 troops. Australia - they got your back - from waaaayyy back.
Kadnine said…
Whoa! Back off Oz Anon, Bill.

While there's no law requiring you to respect Australia's contribution to OIF, here's a factoid you might want to take into consideration.

One grizzled old Ausie officer came out of retirement to serve in Iraq (with only one good eye to boot) and gunned down an advancing suicide bomber and saved 15 US Marines at a roadside checkpoint.

I met him the next day.

Even if he were the sole Australian soldier Howard comitted to the cause, I would still give him thanks.

Smaller nations may have smaller armies, but that doesn't diminish the size of their commitment, or diminish the the importance of their service.

Romania has just 830 troops in Iraq. You wanna bag on them too? Because I know a guy who was brought back from the point of death by a Romanian nurse who would beg to differ with you.
Rena Bernard said…
Thanks for putting a human face on this for everyone, Kad. It's just gotten ridiculously easy for Americans to ridicule the efforts toward victory in the Middle East based solely on numbers... very similar to what's happened with the discontent over the President's plan to surge the number of troops.
Kadnine said…
It's been clear to me since my return that OIF will be won or lost right here at home.

I'm no hero. I was just priviledged to meet a few. And win or lose, I will tell their stories.

That Ausie was five foot nothing if he was an inch, his weathered face twisted into a permanant squint. When I thanked him for saving my Marine brothers he brushed it off (as heroes do) and gave me the finest compliment I ever received:

"Noithin' yew wouldn't do in my place, mate."
Anonymous said…
So sad that you have these stories to tell. Brave men and women, the world's best, put in this horrible situation by ignorance and hubris.
Kadnine said…
Anon -

You still don't get it, do you?

I said there's no law requiring your respect, I didn't say I wanted your pity. You do realize that it's the non-support from Americans like you that's gonna cost us a victory in Iraq, right?
Anonymous said…
I don't pity you. I'm simply sad about the horrible catastrophe the current occupant got us into. You're right, I will never understand how continuing to support doing the wrong thing will somehow make it right. I will also never understand how one honors the lives of the fallen and the wounded by more flag covered coffins. It's been said that no one wants peace more than the soldier, and I believe that. But, the soldier will never have the peace he wants without the political will at home to achieve it. That will was expressed in November.
Kadnine said…
Anon -

I take it back. You do indeed, "Get it."

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste