Skip to main content

Promote Transparency

Every time I received a citizen survey from Anne Northup during her years as my district's Congresswoman, I always added a comment to the survey. It was a request that she stop adding earmarks to legislation. I supported her but certainly not because of the federal money she earmarked for this area. I became very dissatisfied when I saw how much money was being earmarked on her watch. Repeatedly I asked but repeatedly my requests for fiscal responsibility were ignored.

Don't get me wrong, I support true Conservatives -- read, "Goldwater" or "Fiscal" in front of that, I suppose -- but I strongly dislike Conservatives who spend or attempt to disguise their spending like Liberals. The practice of earmarking and the waste perpetuated by the "favor factory" of the Appropriations Committee have both got to end. Now.

Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) is at the forefront in the effort to stop wasteful government spending. They are waging an aggressive campaign right now to put more accountability and transparency back in government spending.

From their email bulletin:
CAGW is right now waging an aggressive campaign to determine which members of Congress are willing to pay more than lip service to transparency and accountability. By letter and by phone, we are calling on each member of the House and Senate to disclose the earmark requests they submitted to their respective Appropriations Committees.

But we need your help to hold your elected officials accountable.

I urge you to ask your Representative and Senators to disclose their earmark requests.

The leadership of the 110th Congress took control promising the “most honest, most open, most ethical Congress in history” and we are holding them to their word! While House and Senate rules do not require members of Congress to make their earmark requests available to the public, Americans deserve to know on which pet projects their elected representatives would lavish their hard-earned tax dollars.

Transparency is a vital first step toward eliminating the tens of billions of dollars spent on congressional earmarks annually and ending the “culture of corruption” that earmarking breeds.

Help us promote transparency and accountability by demanding that your Representative and Senators release their earmark requests today!

CAGW is publishing the responses of members of the House and Senate on our website, as well as the lists of earmark requests they provide.
CAGW has made it extremely easy for you to request action from your representatives on the Hill. Click the links above and send the letters. I did.

How many of them will respond, I wonder... Have Conservatives figured it out yet? Do you think they'll recognize that it's time to become the party of Fiscal Responsibility again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste