Skip to main content

Giving Thanks

I'm sure that the pilgrims would be quite surprised that their little dinner with the natives is now honored every year by Americans who have never worn a hat with a big buckle on it or who get their information not from a bible but from curious mechanical devices that glow in the dark. While controversies and animosities can be unleashed around this time of the year where "politically correct" is concerned, I still find this one of my favorite holidays of the year.

I haven't had to buy a turkey -- or "tofurky," if you happen to be a vegetarian -- in the past four years. Being the 41-year-old divorcee with no kids means I get invited elsewhere and rarely have to do more than bring a nice bottle of wine and help clear the dishes after the meal. Good deal, eh?

Every year on Thanksgiving I try to find some quiet time to contemplate all the things in my life for which I am thankful. Since I'm now, more or less, a member of the big community of bloggers, I thought I'd share this with whoever stops by and cares to read it.

Politically speaking, I'm thankful for:
1. the re-election of Bush, Northup, and Bunning;
2. the GOP sweep on Election Day and spending the evening with friends celebrating;
3. the Swift Boat Vets and POWs for the Truth telling the truth;
4. the death of the terrorist Arafat;
5. the announced retirement of Dan "you can't handle the truth" Rather;
6. the launch of a Louisville chapter of Protest Warrior;
7. finding the Blog world and its wonderful writers;
8. meeting Hugh Hewitt;
9. getting more bumper stickers for my car;
10. and, the new Cardinal Coalition adventure.

Personally speaking, I'm thankful for:
1. A loving immediate family -- You can't choose your family but, if I could, I would have chosen them.
2. A wonderful bunch of extended family -- all such very special people.
3. Fun friends -- flocking together has been great so far.
4. Good health -- the oxygen tank I might have had to lug around later in life has got to weigh less than the 15 pounds I put on in fat from quitting smoking but, really, no complaints.
5. Career with a great company -- couldn't ask for more on this front.
6. New found forgivenesses -- IMHO, forgiving and being forgiven are among life's least practiced humilities.
7. Brave countrymen/women -- it is a special spirit that drives the brave men and women who put everything on the line to keep the rest of us from witnessing first-hand the horrors of what must be done to keep us free. Thank you.
8. Endless optimism -- onward and upward.
9. Curiousity and technology -- where information is at your fingertips and a huge community of people, likely miles and miles apart, can share opinions and insights without having to travel.
10. and, New found beginnings -- the future is so very promising.

Care to share yours?... Happy Thanksgiving!!

Comments

Rena Bernard said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rena Bernard said…
Just wanted to add props for my good friend, Brian, who introduced me to the "tofurky" curiousity! Yummy... NOT! ;-)
Rena Bernard said…
Well, Genghis, I hope you made a toast with some Pilgrim beer on Thanksgiving! I had heard that the Pilgrims stopped at Plymouth Rock initially because they were out of beer. Sounds similar to what you've found. Thanks for sharing that story. Yep, God sure is good to his children! ;-)

Thanks for the kind words about my list, Hillbilly, I'm glad you stopped in to read it. Y'all come back now, ya hear? ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Louisville Tea Party -- July 4, 2009

Help us make it known to Comrade Obama and his goons on Capitol Hill that July 4th is INdependence Day , not COdependence day! Louisville's patriots are throwing a TEA Party on Saturday, July 4th in Jefferson Square (6th and Jefferson) from 11am - 2pm. Hope to see you there!!

Friday Night with Hugh and Friends

The consummate Conservative host, Hugh Hewitt, and yours truly! Shameless of me to post this, I know; however, I'm too jazzed to care. :-p What a wonderful way to spend a Friday night! After an hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, I then got to spend three hours with Hugh Hewitt and 599 other fans of his show. I absolutely MUST say that not only was Hugh wonderful and the live show very entertaining, but his fans are absolutely the nicest people! I've seen other radio talk show s done live and mingled with fans of those shows. Hugh Hewitt's fans are the nicest, most down to earth, friendly people I've ever met. It's quite a credit to Hugh that he draws such a fan base. If you haven't been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum here in Louisville, it's a must-see. The museum shows an amazing artistry with the exhibits and places them in the context of the times in a very entertaining and educationa

As the Blog Turns...

Gee. I have found myself fascinated by the soap opera unfolding in the comments section of this blog since last night. One little mention on a controversial Democrat's blog and it's High Noon on ConservaChick! (Yes, I'm laughing while I type this.) For those of you who have no idea what's happening in the ever-expanding comments section , join the club! Here's what I know about Mark Nickolas from bits and pieces I've read on his blog, and from a local news report: Nickolas likes to sneer at Republicans and call them snide little nicknames as he provides his "Unfiltered and Candid Look at Politics, Politicians and the Media in Kentucky;" he raised a ruckus within the Democrat party here in Kentucky by filing a suit against the chairman of the party , Jerry Lundergan; and he will be appearing on the same panel with yours truly on Thursday night. That's about it. You now have the benefit of my not-so-extensive knowledge on this subject. Nickolas poste